Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why Choose the Color BLACK?

Why Choose the Color BLACK?

I went to see a play this weekend at the La Jolla Playhouse, in La Jolla Ca. The play was the NIGHTINGALE, Hans Christian Anderson. After the play, a radio broadcaster and a Professor from UCSD, spoke about Fairy Tales.  The talk went from Hans Christian Andersen's, childhood, life of poverty  and eventual rise to fame as it were.  Interestingly , he had  NO wonderful childhood experiences and it is amazing to think that he wrote some of the most famous fairy tales of all time. So....the question was asked..."Why are the most popular Fairy Tales today, the dark ones?"  The answer?  simple ,  there is a fascination with the dark. Oh yes, there is the forever, "Sign of the times" line, but lets face it. In this high tech, "Make it happen now" world, anything less is going to be short lived.  For me, black is the color that contains ALL colors. It evokes mystery, drama, sensuality and suggests a  foreboding.  Example.  I was once interviewed by CNN en Espanol, for  a particular tango choreography I had done, along with the designing of the hats the dancers wore. Why black? was the question.  Simply put, I said, "because black is the color of the night. It is where we become ourselves as no one else sees us.  It is the quintessential power color and it evokes a sensual perfume that will not be denied".

Last October, I created a collection of doll hats called "The WITCHES".  It was wildly popular and all of them sold before Halloween!  Yes....they are basically black, and now you know why!  I am posting pic's of what I created last year and hope you will like what I will be doing in just a few short months for this yeaar!

In the meantime, I am just about completed with the work we are doing with the patterns for the Goblins Bend Collection and that means the fun is just about to begin!

I am also getting ready to put some "Goblin" inspired "Rag Hats" in my etsy store, check weekly for new hats.  Please feel free to visit my website as it links to all my links and facebook page  as well.




Talk to you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment